Sunday, March 22, 2009

When Faith Really Gets Tested

Here's the story of a woman who really had to put her faith into practice:
Of the three, Mary seemed the least troubled by the unfairness of what had happened, perhaps because she had been through a life-changing ordeal before.

In 2005, while she was teaching at William B. Travis Academy, a teacher from another school attacked her in her classroom, upset over a perceived insult against her daughter. The assault left Mary with serious injuries, and it took her months to recover. Still, she forgave that teacher, just like she has forgiven the driver.

"This may sound cheesy," Mary said from her wheelchair one afternoon. "But every night before I go to bed, I say the Lord's Prayer. There's a line in there, 'Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.'

"I thought about that line sometimes as I lay in the hospital at 2 a.m. I thought, 'Am I going to say those words, or am I going to live those words?' "

The driver should be held accountable, Mary believed, but she felt no anger toward her.

"I only have so much energy," Mary said, "and I choose to spend it on healing."
Wondering what happened? Read this inspiring story from the Dallas Morning News.

HT: Bruce Tamaso

No comments: