Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Benediction With Twist

Sunday afternoon I was at our local nursing home visiting our church's members. After spending a few minutes with Luella, I concluded our time by saying to her the benediction of blessing taken from Numbers 6:24-26 and often spoken at the end of worship:

"May the Lord bless you and keep you and make His face shine on you. May He be ever gracious to you and give you His peace. Amen."

Luella looked at me and then replied in all seriousness: "Oh, don't you think that's just going a bit too far?"

I couldn't help but burst out laughing. I've spoken that benediction for years and never had anyone say that!

But I suppose that if we really ponder who it is who gives the blessing and the nature of that blessing, it truly is overwhelming.

No comments: