Saturday, January 17, 2009

Congregational Church Roots

Lately I've been researching Congregational church history. This past November, I did sermon around our Little River church's founding pastor, Rev. J.B. Schlichter. And right now, I'm delighting in correspondence with family members of Rev. J.E. Crane, who ministered in our church from 1913-15.

Today, I ran across a couple other names that I didn't know had Congregational roots-- J.I. Scofield and Dwight L. Moody. These are two people I greatly admire-- for their faith and impact.

Scofield was an influential early leader in the dispensational movement. He also pastored a Congregational church in Dallas and grew it to hundreds of people.

Dwight Moody was one of the great evangelists of the 1800s. Moody had a Congregational background and later attended a Congregational church in Chicago.

It's a privilege for me to participate in the rich history of Congregationalism.

No comments: