Friday, June 06, 2008

That Hurts My Feelings

The other day I was spraying weed killer on my mostly weed lawn when my wife and kids returned home from shopping.

My five year old son came running toward me in his bare feet and asked, "What are you doing dad?" I replied, "Don't step on the grass. I'm spraying poison to kill the weeds." A few moments later, my son was ignoring my command and walking on a section of grass I had just sprayed. So, I yelled at him and told him, "Get out of the grass, right now!" Then he started crying and wailed, "You're hurting my feelings!"

Isn't that our complaint to God when it comes to His commands? They hurt our feelings?

The Lord gives us His commands, but we don't listen to them because we want what we want because that makes us feel good and besides, we know what we're doing.

O that we would learn that God's commands are given for our protection and provision. His commands are life to us.

"I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free." --Psalm 119:32

No comments: