Thursday, September 06, 2007

What I Think About Evolution

What do you believe about evolution?

This question was asked by one of the youth in my church. Right now, evolution is the topic in high school science class. The teacher asked students to survey friends and family on a few questions.

Given all the recent debate within the Kansas Board of Education and the media hoopla, whenever evolution gets talked about in Kansas, its bound to create sparks.

In short, I believe that pure evolution is impossible. That is, Darwin's theory of absolutely random and entirely natural processes accounting for life forms is scientifically, philosophically, and theologically impossible. It's about as likely as setting a money down at a keyboard and expecting it to type out Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. Something intelligent had to guide the creation process and I apologetically believe that someone is God. As Genesis 1:1 declares, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."

I also believe that humans didn't evolve from apes. Scientifically, I don't think the evidence is overwhelming. Theologically, the Genesis text says repeatedly, "each according to its kind." While I don't subscribe to macro-evolution, I do believe in micro-evolution-- changes within species. If you're interested in further reading, a great book that exposes the shortcomings of evolutionary theory is Phillip Johnson's Darwin on Trial.

The next question among Christians is, "Do you believe in a young earth or old earth?" Was the world created in 6 literal days or over millions of years (6 days then being figurative)? First of all, it's important to say that this is not a core essential issue to the faith. As Vance at Euangelion says, no one should be dogmatic; this is an intermural debate. The two camps each have good arguments. I've heard Ken Ham of Answers in Genesis and I've skimmed books by Hugh Ross and William Dembski. Personally, I lean toward six days. I mean, if God wanted to create the earth in six literal days, why couldn't He?

While Christians argue vehemently over the meaning of six days, Eugene Peterson in his book, Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places, says believers are missing the point. The creation account in Genesis is a call to get involved in God's world. To love, create, and cooperate with God.

I'm gonna try and do that today.

No comments: