Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Kathy Griffin Un-Thanks Jesus

Kathy Griffin is getting her 15 minutes of fame.

She's already a well known comedian and actress, but after "un" thanking Jesus during her Emmy award acceptance speech, people like me who never heard of her before are doing so now.

Last night on Larry King Live she elaborated a bit on her speech:
"What I was making fun of is... I love these award shows... I watch them... I always think it's funny when the rappers and the starlets and the athletes... And they get an award and they thank Jesus, as if Jesus doesn't have anything better to do than make sure that someone got their People's Choice Award... and he also helps if you're trying to get a 3 pointer from the line. And he helps if your premiere is going to make $10 million this weekend... Jesus is not busy in Darfur. He's very busy helping Hollywood celebrities win awards."
On this point, she's on target and I'm laughing with her.

A rapper wins an award for his foul-mouthed, misogynist, violent filled video and then says, "I'd like to thank God for allowing me to win." What did a holy and righteous God have to do with that? Too often celebrities thank God for petty, self-centered, and vain accomplishments.

But Kathy, could you be admitting a bit too much here?

Is it possible that your accomplishments and your Emmy award... the one you said, "This is my God now,"... are also insignificant and ultimately irrelevant?

Kathy, I pray you'll discover a bigger God (one that doesn't need dusting) and a bigger purpose for life (more than just me, me, me).

You might look to that guy named Jesus.

1 comment:

littleriverlon said...

I posted a comment ( question) about this subject a few days ago. I, too heard her on Larry King. You are right to say she had a point in her explanation. She blew it after that though.

You asked "what did Jesus have to do with that?" in reference to a thug rapper winning an award and then thanking Jesus. You know as well as I that Jesus indeed had something to do with it. I just don't know what though.