Tuesday, August 14, 2007

We Forget, But God Does Not

One thing is for sure about the past-- it's easy to forget.

Earlier this summer I enjoyed a wonderful reunion with a childhood friend who grew up next door to me in Ohio. We hadn't seen each other since high school. I marveled at all that he remembered: The street hockey games we played, the names of neighbors in our cul-de-sac, funny incidents from our high school days. Those memories were stored in my brain and ready for recall-- but I had forgot.

Not long ago, my daughter was doing dog training at 4-H and I was talking to another parent. The adult said, "You probably don't remember, but when my 16-year-old daughter was 6, she tried really hard to convert you when we were attending your church's auction." A six-year-old girl evangelizing a pastor. That is a funny scene-- but I had forgot.

A month ago, I ran into a young lady who occasionally attended our church during her high school days. Now in her 20's, she's married with kids. After leaving our community, she and her family are now living here. As we talked she asked, "Do you remember writing me a note a few years ago?" I had to confess that I didn't-- I forgot.

So the other day this dear young lady in the Lord stopped by our home. And she brought along something to show me and my wife-- the note. It was handwritten and on the church's card stationary. I had composed it four years ago. But she saved the note because the words spoke truth in love to her heart.

There are some things about our past we'd like to forget-- and do. But there's some things about the past we'd like to remember. I can recall many good things, however I certainly can't remember them all.

But I'm glad the Lord does.

"God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them." --Hebrews 6:10

No comments: