Monday, March 05, 2007

Memory and the Moment

Friday evening I was listening to Chuck Swindoll on Christian radio as he was talking about the Sabbath. Prompted by something he said, in my mind I made an observation Jesus' relationship to the day of rest:

"Wow," I thought, "That's really good. I don't know if I've ever heard anyone say that before."

Then I went on:

"That'll preach."

"That would make a good magazine article."

"You could blog about that."

Now what's that observation about Jesus and the Sabbath?

I can't tell you. I've completely forgotten.

All weekend long I've tried to recall it, but I simply can't. I should have written it down--New Testament manuscript expert Bruce Metzger used to say, "the faintest ink is better than the fondest memory"--but I was driving at night. Moreover, I just assumed that I'd remember--the idea was so good and obvious to me.

At one point during he weekend, I got really frustrated at my bad memory, but then the Lord tapped me on the shoulder and whispered, "Hey dummy, every time the Spirit reveals something to you, it isn't so the whole world can consume it."

I still can't recall that "brilliant" observation. But I do remember this: The Lord and I were communing together.

And that memory is more than good enough.

3 comments:

littleriverlon said...

I remember one time.........Oh wait! That wasn't me. Is it the memory that is the first to go? I can't remember......

Living the Biblios said...

I was going to make a smart aleck reply, but...I forgot.

littleriverlon said...

Coming to a mailbox near you soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Nod over Coffee
2. You're Not There
3. Natchez Trace
4. Family
5. Trying to Stand In A Fallen World
6. One Who Got Away
7. No More Sad Songs
8. Lions Of The Collosseum
9. Chase The Buffalo
10. Appalachian Bloodlines
11. Stickman
12. I Will Be Here
13. Remembering Gamble
14. Envelopes Of Light
Enjoy!!!!!