Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Church Vote Tonight

Tonight our church votes on whether to remain in the United Church of Christ (UCC).

Questions about our affiliation arose in July 2005 when the UCC's General Synod 25 passed a resolution advocating same gender marriage. Since that time, our church has had several discussion meetings, offered two resolutions to our Kansas-Oklahoma Conference, and thought a lot about our future.

If Synod 25 didn't pass its resolution, I honestly believe we'd never be having this vote.

Several people have said the discussion within our church has been beneficial. But others have been deeply hurt through the process; this I regret.

In the classroom, students first learn the lesson and then the test follows. But life isn't quite as fair, for the test is first and the lessons come afterwards. While hindsight has taught me how I could have done better, my conscience is clear. I've led the church to the best of my ability.

However, as the Apostle Paul writes, "But that doesn't make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me" (1 Corinthians 4:1-5).

May the Lord's judgment be merciful to us all.

No comments: