Thursday, August 31, 2006

Man Leaves $10,000 Tip for $26 Meal

The Associated Press reports that a man left a $10,000 tip for a meal at an Applebee's Restaurant in Hutchinson, Kansas. I've eaten at this location before. It's only 40 minutes from my house. From the article:

"Two weeks ago, one of Cindy Kienow's regular customers left her a $100 tip on a tab that wasn't even half that.

This week, he added a couple of zeros.

Kienow, a bartender at Applebee's, got a $10,000 tip from the man -- for a $26 meal -- on Sunday."

I just want everyone to know...it wasn't me.

UPDATE 1: The Hutchinson News, the local newspaper, has two stories on Kienow: "Patron Serves Bartender $10,000" and "The Tip Heard Round the World"

UPDATE 2: On September 7 I heard on the radio that the mysterious customer's Visa charge did go through and Ms. Kienow got her money, after Applebees withheld the necessary taxes. Her take? Around $6,700. My guess is the Fed and State officials will use that $2,300 for steaks, beer... and big tips.

No comments: