Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Door


Our local telephone company is building an addition. The work has progressed for the last couple of months. This is where it stands today.

I thought it was kind of strange and entertaining that this door was installed before the rest of the walls. As of this moment, it sure can't do its job very well--letting people in or keeping people out.

To me, this picture is a visual image of modern religion. Modern religion says, "Jesus is a way, not the only way to heaven." Modern religion says everyone in the end--no matter their beliefs--goes to heaven, or whatever it is that's on the other side. It doesn't mind a door, just so long as it's not the only way to get inside.

Jesus does offend our sensibilities when he says in John 14:6, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

He does it again in Luke 13:22-30. When asked if only a "few people" would be saved, Jesus replied, "Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, 'Sir, open the door for us.' But he will answer, 'I don't know you or where you come from.'"

Why does Jesus offend? Why is he so narrow?

Is it is it possible that in the end, modern religious belief is merely a shell--incomplete, offering no real protection, and no real usefulness?

Is it possible that the exclusive way of Jesus gives life and salvation--if we will only submit to his message and believe?

Some thoughts for you to build upon.

1 comment:

littleriverlon said...

Intersting take on the door at LRmutual. I will miss that insight. Regarding modern religious thought we can sum it up by simply saying that if you are a "good person" ( I don't know if this is judged via works, deeds, perception of self or others, etc.) you are in. As a child from a non-churched home, this was my perception as well. Since I was non-churched, I wouldn't say I was religious. It would seem that non-religion is not a far reach from "Modern" religion.