Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Socks

Often I'm the first one up in my house. Since my dresser drawer and closet are in my bedroom, I try to pick out my clothes the night before and lay them out in another room, so when I get up in the morning, I don't have to pick out my clothes in the dark.

Yesterday when I woke up, I realized that I forgot to pick out my clothes the night before. So with eyes still blurry, I tried to properly match my pants, shirt, tie, belt, and socks.

It's really not that hard, but finding the right colored socks is tricky. Early in the morning, I can't see the difference between dark blue and black. On this day, I just made a guess and pulled a pair out of the dresser drawer.

When I got dressed a few minutes later, I was pleased to see that I had picked out the right pair of socks. I needed black and I happened to pick out black. I was proud of myself; it's the same pride you feel when that wadded ball of paper lands in the trash can on your first try.

Sometime in the afternoon, my shoe got untied. When I reached down to lace it up, I noticed my socks. I couldn't believe what I was seeing--one was dark blue, the other was black. There was absolutely no doubt it. The hue distinction was clear. I was wearing mismatched socks!

In the morning, my eyes were certain that my socks were black and matched each other. But the light of the afternoon revealed that what I saw in the morning was clearly wrong.

It makes me wonder: Of the issues and situations in my life that I assume to see correctly, how many do I actually view incorrectly? What are those areas where more light must shine?

Whatever they are Lord, sock it to me.

No comments: