Thursday, February 16, 2006

About This Blog--News

"Nothing has ever happened here my whole life." That's what a rural Pennsylavania man told me recently. The same thing could probably be said here in central rural Kansas where I live. We rural folk have a saying, "Not much happens in a small town, but what you hear sure makes up for it."

This place won't be a source of gossip, but sometimes news worthy events do happen around here.

In 2001, a half hour after I finished taking a guitar lesson in downtown Hutchinson, Kansas, the city was rocked by a series of natural gas explosions. When Habitat for Humanity founder Millard Fuller questioned whether the organization would remain "faith based" after his departure, I heard a 2005 speech from interim CEO Paul Leonard in Lyons, Kansas that convinced me the organization would certainly retain its faith component. As a pastor in the United Church of Christ, and the Kansas-Oklahoma Conference, the denomination's position on same-sex marriage has generated some well deserved criticism. So some stuff does happen around here.

Oh yeah, you're wondering about that rural Pennsylvania man who once told me, "Nothing ever happens around here." His name is Nevin Lambert, the only eyewitness to the crash of Flight 93 in Shanksville, PA on 9-11.

No comments: